Saturday 15 September 2012

Day 8 - 20 Days to Organise & Clean your home Challenge


I am participating in the The Organised Housewife's 20 Days to Organise & Clean your home Challenge. If you haven't already signed up, it's not too late to start! Just follow this link to subscribe.

It is Saturday night and I have FINALLY completed Wednesday's (Day 8) challenge focus area which was A ROOM OF YOUR CHOICE. You can find all the information you need know about Day 8's challenge tasks here.

CLEAN kids toy room, craft room, spare room or extra living room (one only).

This is one of the few occasions that I'm thankful that we don't live in a huge house ... less to clean! We live in quite a small house by today's McMansion standards (3 bed, 1 bath) so most of the room's in our house are dual purpose. Our living room is also the toy room, Master two-and-a-bit's room is also the office and Master almost-one's room is also the guest bedroom.
So for this task, instead on focusing on another room, I just tidied up previous areas we've covered and got everything back in order after my two days of work. It took me a bit longer than I expected (hence why I'm writing this post on Saturday night!) and I'm amazed at how quickly the house deteriorates if I don't stay on top of things!

DE-CLUTTER kids toys

Yay! I've been looking forward to this challenge as the kid's toys are really starting to overtake our lounge room. I found a spare plastic box, put books and toys that aren't currently being used in it and then put it under the house. I wasn't able to get the same sized baskets (from K-Mart) to match the ones we already had so ended up buying 5 new red canvas baskets from Bunnings and they fit perfectly! I think black would have looked a bit more stylish but the red goes with our couch cushions and a canvas above our TV so doesn't look too out of place. The books and toys are now sorted into categories, I just need to make some tags so hopefully they stay that way!

ORGANISE family responsibility system

I want my boys to be responsible and independent from a young age so have been gently encouraging Master two-and-a-bit since he was about 18 months old to help with daily chores according to his interests. I also found that I was using up valuable time while the boys were asleep doing chores, so decided to incorporate them into their awake hours so they learn that things just don't magically happen while they sleep! He currently helps with the following tasks:
- unpack the dishwasher (and not a single break yet!)
- recycling into the bin
- puts things in the bin and takes the recycling out
- puts his dirty clothes in washing basket in the bathroom- helps feed our dog and our two new pet chickens!
- pick up toys (he's going through a great "packing away" phase at the moment)
- collects the mail
- help bring the bins in after collection day

NEW HABIT tidy a shelf (in kid's bedroom) every 2-3 nights
I think this is a great idea and will hopefully mean less work when we tackle the kid's bedrooms in future challenges. The boy's don't have built-in's in their rooms so I'm using an Ikea Billy bookcase to store Master two-and-a-bit's clothes. Even after tidying these shelves it is quite obvious he has way too many clothes, so another item to put on my to-do list is to downsize his clothes collection.

5 MINUTES ONLY revisit the main bedroom
I love that our bedroom now only takes 5 minutes to get back into shape and I can't believe I resisted making our bed each day for so long :)

We have a big week coming up this week, with Master almost-one having his 1st Birthday party here at home on Saturday, which we just found out is the same morning he starts swimming lessons with his big brother. With organising and catering for the party as well as working an extra day this week, I have realised I can't do it all so I'm having this week off challenges. I hope everyone has a fabulous week and I'm looking forward to getting back into challenges next week!

Mel xx

2 comments:

  1. You could checkerboard your boxes too for a funky look. My hubby has suggested a blog name change to chicken winging it, due to your new additions! All the best for the birthday party xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! Do you mean with tape or spray paint? I think I've seen it done on the Better Homes and Garden's TV Show. Hmm.. not sure how long the chickens will last I'm afraid. We have a cocker spaniel and she thinks the chicken's have been bought especially for her to play with. We're in for a long integration process I think! And I think I'll be happy to just survive the party, having left things to the last minute this time around ;)

      Delete